Pages

Snippets

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

White Cake

Luke finger painting.

So. I made my white cupcakes for Body and Soul and they were a hit. I was going to use my grandma's recipe (because Grandma's recipes are ALWAYS the best), but I needed to double it and I didn't have that much shortening, and a 40 minute round trip drive to the store to get some didn't quite seem like the thing to do.

So, the internet saved me. I looked at several recipes, and this is the one I tried to follow, but let's just say I didn't really read the directions before I started and messed several things up (incorporated from different white cake recipes) so I'll tell you what I did. Maybe that means this is MY White Cake Recipe. I died both the frosting and the cake pink since we're having a girl.

Rachel Soper's White Cake Recipe
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup egg whites (takes about 5 or 6 eggs)
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract ( I use the good stuff...straight from Mexico)

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two 9 inch round or one 9X13 OR 18 cupcakes. For the cakes, they say butter the bottom and line with parchment paper. Since I did cupcakes, I didn't have to worry about that.

In a large bowl beat egg whites until stiff (actual recipe didn't say to do this, but I did). Set aside.
Combine butter and sugar for about 5 min, until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine remaining dry ingredients. Set aside. Stir milk and vanilla into egg whites. Add 1/3 flour mixture to butter mixture and then 1/2 of the egg/milk mixture. Then dry, wet and ending with dry. Scrape bowl often.

Pour batter into pans. Bake cakes for 25-30 min. Or cupcakes 15 minutes. Until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely and frost.

Rachel's Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 stick butter, room temp
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cap lemon extract
Powdered sugar until it's the consistency you want. About 4 cups.

1 comment:

  1. I am bummed I didn't grab one. I didn't have anymore hands to do so though.

    ReplyDelete