Pages

Snippets

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shrimp and Tortellini in Tomato Cream

Tried this recipe from my last meal plan tonight.  So good.  I'll give the the recipe exactly as called for, then tell you what I did.  This will never be a recipe that I can "just make".  It requires way too many ingredients that I don't keep stocked.  And because of the shrimp =)  The only thing that I would like to improve upon was the freshness of the shrimp.  I grocery shopped Monday night and didn't get to make this until tonight (Wed.)  The shrimp was still good (Leta liked it), but it could've been better.


Shrimp & Tortellini in Tomato Cream


1 pkg. (9oz) refrigerated cheese tortellini
1lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined.
1 T olive oil, divided.
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
dash of red pepper flakes
2 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans no salt added petite diced tomatoes
1 bottle (8oz) clam juice
1/2 c white wine
2 T balsamic vinegar
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 c parmesan
1/4 c half and half
10 fresh basil leaved, thinly sliced
2 T minced chives


Cook tortellini according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook shrimp in 2 tsp oil until shrimp are pink.  Stir in lemon peel, 1/8 tsp pepper and red pepper.   Remove and keep warm.


In the same skillet, cook shallots in remaining oil on low, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until brown.
Add garlic, and cook 1 minute longer.


Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine, vinegar and thyme.  Boil about 10 minutes or until broth is desired consistency.  Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, including shrimp and tortellini.  Top with more Parmesan.




What I did:  I did not have lemon peel, so I just skipped it.  I also did not have the wine so I used 1/2 cup water with a little chicken bouillon base.  I also pureed my tomatoes (I thought it would be a consistency I would prefer...I'm not a fresh tomato person, so no chunks is good for me).  I used a sprinkle of ground thyme and I shook basil in until I thought it looked like 10 leaves worth.  I added both dried spices before the boiling to get their flavors developed.  I also used heavy cream since that's what I had on hand already.


I really liked the whole thing, but especially the tomato soup base.  I think I'll make that portion of the recipe again sometime, doubled and do grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment