Pages

Snippets

Friday, June 17, 2011

Smoothie!!



Dear Frozen Boxed Spinach,


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....


I always have a box of spinach in my refrigerator thawed and ready to go.  You never know when I'll suddenly feel the need to squeeze a handful dry and throw into something.  Like....


The Perfect Smoothie!
This isn't so much a recipe, as it is a method.  I pureed all of Luke and Leta's baby food so I have a bazillion (that's the exact count btw) 6 oz containers for freezing food in.  I will buy a bag of frozen mixed fruit (any sort will do) and let it thaw and then puree it in my food processor. I then spoon it into my 6oz containers and freeze.  


1 container frozen mixed fruit puree (1 minute in microwave, and it's still mostly frozen and slides right out of the container)
1 frozen banana (30 seconds in microwave, cut off the tip and squeeze it into the blender, or substitute whatever fruit you have on hand...berries, melon etc) 
1 cup fat free strawberry greek yogurt (or whatever kind you like.  The small individual cups are PERFECT for this, but it's cheaper to scoop out of the big tub)
1/2 (10oz) box frozen spinach squeezed dry
12oz crushed ice (I just fill up my frozen puree cup twice with crushed ice...that's refrigerator for your help on that one!)
50 grams vanilla whey protein powder

This completely fills up my huge smoothie cup, plus makes about 1/2 a glass for Kyle when he gets home from the gym.  I will stuff myself silly on this ginormous smoothie as an entire meal and Kyle drinks his much smaller portion with his lunch (hey, if he wanted a big smoothie he needs to make his own!)  The entire smoothie batch has 65+ grams of protein which means this baby will stick with you.  Add in that extremely generous portion of spinach and this is one super healthy lunch!  And don't skip the spinach.  I promise you you can see it and it's not the most attractive, but you CANNOT taste it at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment